Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bubble tea and bookstores

I woke up this morning and performing my little morning rituals:
  • prayers
  • stretching
  • turning my fish tank light on
  • saying "Good morning" to my fish, dog and mom ( not necessarily in that order, just whomever I happen to see first)
  • berating myself for not finishing on my homework the night before
  • firing up the laptop and desk lamp
After finishing all those things, among others, I was overwhelmed by one recurring thought: "I have got to get the fuck out of this house today."

Yeah.

Sometimes you just have to. It's like the walls start closing in on you and you feel your comfort zone getting smaller and smaller.
So around 11am, mom and I left the house.
We ended up stopping at Alberson's to look for tapioca balls (or pearls...whatever you want to call them). I never in a million years would have thought that they would carry them but they do! Crazy, huh?
I know you are all asking yourselves, "Why does she want tapioca pearls? Is she making pudding? Can I have some?"
No. I'm not making pudding. But if I was, yes, you could have some.
They are for bubble tea (also know as Pearl Milk Tea).
Since Baton Rouge doesn't exactly have a booming China Town (although, we do have a lot of Vietnamese), I have to make my own.

Classic Bubble Tea Recipe
1/2 cup chilled, cooked large Chinese tapioca pearls (if substituting regular small tapioca, use 1/3 cup) 1 cup crushed ice 1 cup very strong chilled black tea (or orange pekoe tea or Lichee tea)1 cup milk, or to taste Honey or sugar to taste
Place the pearls in a large parfait glass. Combine all remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker, and shake vigorously until the mixture is frothy. Pour into the glass, and serve with extra-thick straws.


Sounds interesting. I can't wait to try it.
Then we headed to Barnes and Noble. That bookstore has got to be, without a doubt, my favorite place to spend my paychecks. Whole Foods is a close second.
But anyway, after spend two hours and $150, we came home with two bags of books. Mom got a few Spark's Notes on Spanish and a TI-83 manual.
I spent most of my time in the Literature and Poetry sections, fantasizing about one day seeing a work of my own among Dickinson, Plath, and Sexton.
But the only way I would gain notoriety as an poet would be to kill myself and I'm not so sure I want to be published that badly.
I think Erica Jong said it best: "Americans like their poets young and dead."

Well, now I am off to study the soul crushing subject that is Psychology. Damn you, Freud!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi I was just looking up Tapioca Pearls Baton Rouge in google and it gave me your blog. Which Albertson's did you go to? I have been looking for them everywhere and the only Bubble Tea place in town is at Sherwood and Florida which is really far from me. I would really love to know where you got it so I can make some of my own too! Thanks

Firefly said...

Hey Sheila. I found the Tapioca Pearls at the Albertsons near Old Hammond. They were by the pudding making stuff.
The Tea House Cafe on Chimes Sreet also serves bubble tea but I've never been so I can't tell you if it is good or not.
Thanks for commenting and happy pearl hunting. :)