Saturday, September 27, 2008

God Save the [pre]Nursing Students

I know that I have been pretty out of it the past month. But can you really blame me?
School started back and it already feels like I am drowning. Usually, that doesn't happen until at least midterm. Plus, if I am not in class, I am working. I am at school from 7am until 3pm.
Plus, I heard some of my classmates talking shit about me and that has been pissing me off. Those catty bitches in my anatomy class need to shut the fuck up.
Here's what happened.
We had our first test a week or so ago. I didn't think it was all that bad. Review stuff, really. Basic themes of biology, planes of the body, directional terms, some chemistry stuff, macromolecules, and cells. No big deal, right?
Wrong.
The average score in the class was a 58. Yeah. Out of 100. The scores ranged from 88 to 45.
I got an 88. Thank God the teacher didn't announce scores out loud like my Algebra teacher did last semester. I would have caught hell for it.
But she did ask a few students how they prepared for the test. So I told her (and the class) what I did. [this is actually the extended version.The ones I actually said are in bold...I didn't want to seem like a total nerd]
  • I checked the class schedule for what chapter we will be covering that day and I read it, trying to get a basic understand of it before class.
  • I go to the lecture and take notes from the PowerPoints, noting page numbers and diagrams.
  • I read the chapter again, highlighting important details.
  • I go over the chapters again and take even more detailed notes.
  • I rewrite my notes.
  • I do the quizzes at the end of the chapters.
  • I work in the book's study guide.
  • I take all of the quizzes and tests on the publisher's website.
  • If I have trouble with the material, I make flashcards.
  • I look for podcast on the subjects we are covering.

And do you believe that the next class period I heard a few of the other students saying, "I can't believe that test was so hard. She should have curved the grades. Did you hear that girl say she actually reads the chapter three times and takes notes besides the PowerPoints? I'm not giving up my free time to do that."

Um....are you fucking stupid? If you want that ADN as much as you say you do, you will give up whatever it takes. How much do you think I have sacrificed to have the grades and, more importantly, the understanding of the material that I have today? I have given up sleep and friends and relationships...and guess what? Unfortunately, that is the way it has to be right now. I know it won't be forever and that once I have my nursing licence, I can relax a little bit. But until then, some things have to be put on the back burner.

I seriously can't wait until midterm and all of these stupid bitches have dropped the class.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

bitch, you gotta just keep on trucking.



Don't I sound awesomely white trash when I say that?