Wednesday, October 28, 2009

First Clinical Day

I'd like to start off by saying that my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning (0430...Oh, what, no she didn't just use military time! Yes. Yes, she did.) so if this post makes no fucking since, that is why.
I got to the hospital at 0630 and started my clinical. It went pretty well.
Here's the problem: I want to tell you all about it, but I don't think I can. My mind keeps going back to articles I have read about nursing students getting kicked out of their programs for accidentally letting patient info slip, even if it was just the number of children they have or what their diagnosis was. So, mums the word.
I will tell you that I got to watch my partner put a Foley catheter in our patient. He did so well and I was really proud of him. :-) Hopefully, I will get my chance to do one next week. My luck, I'll end up messing it up somehow. Haha.

3rd exam tomorrow and about half a dozen med sheets, care plans, and nursing dications to do what the weekend looks free. I think a Harry Potter movie marathon might be in the cards. :)

Oh and I told one of my classmates how much I hate calling patients "clients" and he agreed that it makes us sound like hookers. We might as well start calling them "johns."
I probably just set the profession of nursing back by at least 50 years with the previous statement. Let's see if we can make it 100 years next time, shall we?

No comments: