Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thanks Mom

We had unit orientation at the hospital today. I'll skip the boring parts to tell you that I was super duper excited to start dealing with clients (calling them "patients" undermines their autonomy or some psycho babel bullshit like that) next week.
Well, I was excited.
Enter: my mother.
"Now, *Firefly,* don't be nervous. Because if you are nervous while putting a catheter in a male, your hands will be shaking which might cause....well....you know...he could....um....rise to attention."
My mother just cautioned me against giving a guy an erection while putting in a catheter. Thank you, mom. I'm pretty sure once the tube is being pushed in, he won't be nearly as happy about it.
I was totally fine with starting clinicals. Now I am nervous about being nervous.

No comments: