Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How do we handle it?

Nursing school sucks. It is as simple as that. The only advice I can give to someone looking to go to nursing school would be "don't."
But more than nursing school, clinical rotations on oncology suck worse.
It sucks that a young man has pancreatic cancer and his blood sugar dip to 30 without warning.
It sucks that after a lifetime of being a matriarch, a woman is trapped in hospital bed because her immune system is so compromised that if her grandchild comes to visit her with a cold, she could die.
It sucks that inflammatory breast cancer is misdiagnosed for so long as dermatitis that by the time it is caught, there is nothing that can be done and the patient is essentially rotting away from the inside out.
It sucks that a person can be perfectly healthy a few weeks ago, go in to get a tiny sore checked out, and never leave the hospital again.
It just sucks.

So tonight after I finish my paperwork, I won't think about it.
I will study the respiratory system for a while. I will go out with a girlfriend. We will shoot pool and laugh about something stupid with the bartender. We will bitch about guys and how neither of us understand them. We will send drunk texts. We will laugh some more. I will go home and read a good book. I will drink some tea and take a shower. I will pet my dog. I will say my prayers.

I will not cry about this. At least, that is what I am telling myself for now.

No comments: