Thursday, September 02, 2010

OB Clinicals - Week 2

It might be the antidepressants that I started back on or the awesome nurses or the cute doctors and CRNAs but I think I might love the Labor and Delivery unit.
Here's what happened:

  • My patient was amazing today. So freaking sweet. It was unbelievable. Despite the fact that she was in pain from her c-section and that her baby couldn't be in the room with her because he was in the NICU for being a bit too early (babies are usually born around the 40th week).
  • I watched one of my classmate's patients have a vaginal birth. It was disgusting but also so fascinating to watch. It was the mom's first baby and her sister and mother were there with her and they were all crying tears of joy. To see how happy it made them was a beautiful thing.
  • I gave an IM injection today (my first!). Did it perfectly. Although, I almost fucked up by trying to recap the blunt needle (the needle that is used to draw the medication up in the syringe...it is changed to a new needle for the actual injection) in front of the instructor but I caught myself. Placed the cap on the counter and scooped it up with the needle. The instructor saw it, smiled, and made the comment, "Caught that, huh?"
  • The charge nurse on the unit overheard me reporting to my primary nurse that my patient was having breakthrough pain despite receiving Percocet 3 hours ago and asking if there was anything else we could do for her. They went to check on the patient and okayed Demerol. Later, the charge nurse told me that she was glad I reported it and that I was going to be a great nurse. Woah. What? Me? A great nurse?....I like the sound of that. :-)

xoxo
Estelle

3 comments:

CaLLie.ANN said...

Ahhhh, yes. Finally.
A post about nursing that doesn't scare the holy shit out of me.

OB is where my hearts at, and hopefully where I'll be in the end. Amazing stuff, for reals.

Congrast, on being a great nurse. :)

ChloƩ. said...

A great OB nurse makes ALL the difference in the world :) Good work.

Jessica said...

You are the kind of nurse my poor patients need! I get RN's calling me not knowing how to set up their infusion pumps and I just fear for those patients....