Friday, December 17, 2010

Oh, the Possabilities

Hello my beloveds.

It is 11:30 on a Friday night. And I am too excited to sleep.
No. Not because of Christmas (mostly because I have been quite a naughty girl this year and I doubt Santa is very happy with me).
Not because of the sweet something-something that might be brewing between me and a very attractive (and kinda kinky) rebound hook-up.
Not because I just discovered EOS Lemon Drop lip balm (which is freaking amazing and tastes delish).

No, my lovely readers. I am excited because in 6 months I will have my RN degree, pass my N-CLEX and from there, who knows?
There are so many possibilities.
Do I stay in my hometown with my family and friends? Try to find a job at one of the local hospitals where I did my clinicals while in nursing school? At least for a few years?
A few of my girlfriends are moving to New Orleans after graduation and one said she planned on getting a big place and would most likely have an extra room if I wanted to move in with her. Do I want that? I have always loved New Orleans but if I lived there, would it lose some of its magic for me?
Do I get licensed in Texas and Florida also so that I can travel at will? Do I stay in one place just long enough to get some experience and then start travel nursing so that I can see the country while I am young and without the responsibility of a husband or kids?
Do I say, "To hell with Louisiana" and take my sister up on her offer of moving in with her out in the Texan boondocks? I have always wanted to be closer to her and my nephews and that would be the perfect opportunity.
Do I work for a few years, then go for my BSN? Or my MSN? Or do I get on it right after graduation while I am use to being a broke and stressed-out student? Do I work full-time and go to school part-time? Do I want to go the online route or commute to a campus for classes?
And what do I specialize in?!? I am not crazy about the idea of being on a straight Med-Surg floor. I liked my Oncology rotation. But I LOVED L&D and could easily see myself doing that. Oh, or being a circulating nurse in surgery!

If you would have told me four years ago, when I was 18 and in the deepest depression and mental instability imaginable that I would be here today, with all these opportunities and doors opening up for me; I would never have believed you.
For the first time in a long time, I am truly happy. :-)
xoxox
Estelle

2 comments:

Jazzie Casas said...

Nursing is becoming more and more technical and requires more sophisticated understanding of disease processes, treatments, and pharmacology. Nurses also want to be treated as professionals rather than semi-skilled workers. To these ends, the current trend favors four year degrees rather than the shorter programs. Many nurses opt to get a two year degree either at a diploma school or community college, then return to complete a BSN while they gain work experience. Some hospitals pay BSN graduates slightly more (mostly as an incentive to obtain a BSN), but the job assignments are identical.





school scholarships

CaLLie.ANN said...

Estelle,
I'm SO damn happy for you and oober proud.

I choose option D: All of the above.

Do everything. You've got time to do it all. You're young. Live it up.

...and in your travels, stop in Utah. Let's get drunk.