Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Day 3 - Drugs and Alcohol

Day 3 – Your Views on Drugs and Alcohol.

Okay. So another touchy subject for me. And it probably doesn’t help that I kind of have a slight buzz going right now from a little post-exam celebration. ;)

Alcohol: I don’t see anything wrong with having a few glasses of wine or a couple of shots with some friends to celebrate surviving a along week of school or work [or the first exam of the semester…even if it is at 3pm on a Tuesday]. Generally, I am pretty good at knowing my limits and staying within them but I have been known to go too far and have a little too much fun.
As much as I hate to say it, I have blacked out [not *pass out*…just NO recollection of the events that took place] from drinking before. It happened twice and both times it was freaking scary the next day for me trying to scramble and piece together the events from the previous evening. Trust me; it is no fun playing “Guess where the bruise came from”. [Oh that reminds me. DON’T DRINK AFTER DONATING BLOOD. It is a horrible idea because 1 beer will get you wasted. 3 shots of Crown Royal will fuck your world up.] Thank God, nothing too tragic has happened.
But the one thing I freaking cannot stand is when people drink and can’t control themselves. I am not a damn babysitter and if you can’t hold your liquor or if you drink and turn into a raging douchebag, please, do me a favor and just leave me alone. You know why they invited the word *buzzkill*? Because you suck and you are killing my buzz.

Illicit drugs: Okay. I have smoked marijuana before. I won’t lie to ya’ll. I inhaled and it was great. I am all for legalization because I know how well it works for anxiety and depression…not to mention the benefits for cancer and AIDS patients. I haven’t smoked it in about two years because it IS illegal after all and I know the consequences if I were to do it and get caught. It just isn’t worth it for me to blow all my plans.
*Moderation.* I think that is the key and so many people forget that. That is where addiction comes into play and it is just so sad to see lives thrown away and families destroyed by someone chasing a high.
But it is like Frank Sinatra says; I am for whatever gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I think my feelings about drugs and alcohol can be summed up like this: You are an adult. Act like one. Take care of your business first and then if your idea of fun isn’t hurting anyone else or putting anyone else at risk, go for it. Don’t drink and drive. And don’t smoke pot and Facebook [because the crap you post when you do that really isn’t as funny as you think it is].

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Everything you wrote about drinking, including the bit about blacking out twice, I could have written. I've blacked out three times, but once I was roofied, so that doesn't count, and it's scary as hell the next day.

And your last paragraph? I kind of want to print that out and hand it to all the idiots when I'm at the bar.

Absentbabinski said...

Wise words, m'dear.

Also, don't call up exe's drunk. No matter how much you want them back/ want to apologise/ think they might want you back.

Nobody needs that level of indignity.