Monday, July 25, 2011

The 10 Most Common Emergency Drugs.

The 10 Most Common Emergency Drugs.
  1. Epinephrine - increases heart rate, constricts blood vessels, dilates air passages.
  2. Lidocaine - local anesthetic and antiarrhythmic drug.
  3. Furosemide - loop diuretic used in the treatment of congestive heart failure and edema.
  4. Digoxin - cardiac glycoside widely used in the treatent of various heart conditions like atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and sometimes heart failure that cannot be controlled by other medications.
  5. Sodium Bicarbonate - used as a buffer in respiratory acidosis-induced cardiac arrests.
  6. Dopamine Hydrochloride - increases heart rate and blood pressure.
  7. Nitroglycerin - vasodilator to treat heart conditions, such as angina and chronic heart failure.
  8. Atrophine Sulfate - used to treat episodes of bradycardia, asystole and cardiac arrest.
  9. Dobutamine Hydrochloride - used in treatment of heart failure and cardiogenic shock.
  10. Morphine Sulfate - used to treat both acute and chronic pain. Also used for pain due to myocardial infarction and labor.

[Don't be too impressed. I totally stole this from The Science Blog.]


Zazzy Episodes said...

Nerd. I totally thought you were just keeping your nursing skills sharp for when you get that job.

Estelle Darling said...

Hehe. Once a nursing school nerd, always a nursing school nerd.

Pollyanna said...

Of those, I regularly give furosemide and digoxin. If you made a list of most common drugs in nursing homes, I bet you at least 50% are bowel related. Yuck! PS I helped give an enema today - first time. PPS I also saw my first tunneling pressure sore. Yuck x3!


Cathy said...

Thanks for that. Clipped to Evernote for later.

andrea chiu said...

There are times that we encounter fear and disappointments in life yet we still manage to stand up straight and face it rather that being silent. That was a very good example of being a brave person. Well, I would like to thank you for sharing a very good article it is very much appreciated, good job! You can visit my site too if you want. Have a great day!

Leslie Lim said...

First time I commented in a blog! I really enjoy it. You have an awesome post. Please do more articles like this. I'm gonna come back surely. God bless.